For specific on how to train as a bodyguard or the local licencing requirements please refer to previous articles from the author.
Having been a team leader for several movie stars and music industry leaders protection detail I can tell you that it is demanding work. If you really want to become a bodyguard that is assigned to celebrity escorts you will need to know some important tips.
Celebrity protection is the opposite of traditional bodyguarding
Looking after executives is normally low visibility and very planned with every meeting organised in advanced. On the other hand, celebrity bodyguarding requires high visibility details and numerous unplanned activities.
1. Practice your risk assessments and team escort drills to build in maximum flexibility for sudden detail changes. Anything between a sudden nightclub visit or unknown photo op with people on the rope lines. Adapt and adjust during every escort.
2. Celebrities often want the bodyguards to look similar to their management group appear as image is the essence of being a star. With all the photographs and journalists hanging on every moment, the celebrity does not want the bodyguard to draw attention away from the celebrity. Find out which celebrity you want to be a bodyguard for, and consider if you would want to dress or act like they do.
3. Join a Personal Protection stable in your country. Russian bodyguards for hire in LondonFew people know this but celebrities will bring their own close protection expert and rely a lot on the local stables to fill the rest of the team roles.
What is a stable? A bodyguard stable is a group of protection operatives that are all known and tested by a well known bodyguard team leader. That means, if the team leaders know your work, you are more likely to be picked when they get the call. Get to know who the team leaders are in your town or city and work your way up by proving you are reliable and trustworthy.
4. Start working in the hottest nightclubs as security. Not only does this keep your skills sharp, you are more likely to be included in the security team when a celebrity makes an impromptu visit. If you act professionally and not get starstruck, you may find yourself being asked to get on the bodyguard register for the protection team.
5. Register with the International Bodyguard association as most celebrity bodyguard positions are filled before they even land in Australia. With association membership you go onto the database when teams are being assembled and it is great way for new protection operatives to get a start without much experience.
6. Of course, registering with the television stations is a must. Often the station will have their own bodyguards teams, but your break could be when someone else is sick or the team is overbooked. Find out which manager is responsible for booking security details and start by introducing yourself.
“If you are not qualified or trained as a bodyguard, start with basic details first and build your experience looking after low level risk clients. ”
With our training courses you are able to choose your own training session times and the length of the course to suit your changing needs. Our trainers use real workplace skills and activities to develop your management skills.